Kahuku Elementary started in 1893 as an English School, serving the Kahuku Sugar plantation children in grades K-12. The present 4.5 acre campus, serving only grades K-6, was dedicated in 1988. The architecture of the buildings reflect its former past as a sugar plantation town. The town hasn't changed much since the mill closed. Old sugar workers and their families still live in plantation housing. Kahuku still moves to a gentle pace with its uncluttered beaches, fishing grounds and gentle trade winds. In this rural community children safely walk to and from school, play 'afterschool' sports at a near by park or visit with neighbors.
Kahuku is located in the richly cultivated valleys and coastal flatlands of the Koolauloa District on the North Shore of Oahu